1. Hello Guest, if you are having any kind of issues with the site, please email Admin@BrokeAuto.com and let me know what is going on. I will do what I can to get the issue resolved quickly. This site is still a work in progress and there is a lot to be done so any info you can give me will really help. Thank you!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. I have disabled email verification due to some email issues. Now, just fill out your info and your done. I have also gotten rid of the reCaptcha and I'm now doing a noCaptcha where you just click a check box. Super simple and faster than ever! Please let us know if you have any issues or need to be verified. Thanks!
    Dismiss Notice

GM 4L60e Transmission Rebuild.

Discussion in 'Drivetrain' started by Tony, Apr 4, 2014.

1. Tony

Tony Administrator Staff Member

You know I will. I have no idea what is going on with this thing. But one way or another, I'm going to find out. I hope...

2. Paulster2

Paulster2 My VTEC Won't VTEC...

Government Weenie
    Home Page:
    Oh, you'll figure it out. When you do, I suspect I'll be hearing a slapping noise as you face palm plants :chuckles:

3. Tony

I told him that he had to put a new shift cable on the truck before I could do anything. The cable is keeping it from going into park. The shift lock is also acting up making it really hard to shift between gears. This truck is a POS and I may loose a friendship with this one. They are wanting me to do a lot of work that I"m not paid to do and I'm not going to do it. It is what it is, but I don't work for free.

4. Paulster2

Government Weenie
    Home Page:
    It is very rarely that I will work for free. I don't mind it, but don't abuse it either. About the only people I do work for free for are people who I know cannot afford it. I don't like to see friends of mine get taken for a ride at the repair shop, especially when they are single mothers of three kids who don't have a job.

I do, however, completely agree with you. I don't like getting taken advantage of, either. I guess if it costs a friendship, that's what it costs. Do what you gotta do, bro.

5. Tony

Might have him bring this thing over this weekend, pull the pan and test the shift solenoids. I think this is going to be the last trans rebuild I do for anyone but myself. Just too much of a pain in the ass.

6. Paulster2

Government Weenie
    Home Page:
    Oh, man, and I was just going to ask you if I could send you the 4L60e out of my truck! :moon:

7. Tony

Well, pulled the truck into the garage today. Did you know on a 4x4, there is a bracket for the shifter that keeps you from dropping the pan? And did you know gettign to those two bolts is a BITCH!!! But, it was time to finish this thing up.

So we get that bracket off, then take the bolts out of the pan. As the pan is dropping, there is NO fluid coming out of it. :facepalm:

So whatever, I figure he just didn't fill it enough. And yes, a FRESH REBUILD and the fluid was burnt... This falls under the category of NOT MY DAMN PROBLEM!!!

We get the pan off and I try to ohm the two shift solenoids while still in teh trans. Yeah, that iddn't happen. So I pull them out. Both of them ohm'd out at 24 ohms!!! PERFECT!!! SON-OF-A-BITCH!!!!!!!!!!! so what is the issue????? I'm getting really pissed off at this point as is my neighbor that is the brother to the guy that owns the truck.

I stick the solenoids back up in the valve body and he says that the plug was pushed down. I asked "what plug" and he points to the main green plug on the trans. Before I started on it, I checked the plug on the trans to make sure it was plugged in, adn it was veyr loose. But, there are no clips on the plug, they have been broken off. Yup, that is an issue, but NOT MY DAMN ISSUE lol.

When he told me that it was pushed down into the trans pan, two things came to me. 1, there is a 99% probability that it was not making a connection. When both solenoids are off, it's stuck in 3rd gear. If you manually pull it down, it will go into 2nd which it did. So with good solenoids, I was sure this was the issue. But there is a problem. One of the tabs that holds the plug into the case of the pan was broke off not allowing it to stay up in there. This is the one that is connected to the harness IN the trans. So what is my neighbors solution? Before we put the pan on, push those suckers together all the way, and apply PLASTIC WELD to it. I told him if it didn't work, we would be replacing the whole harness in the trans, and for the engine. He said "I could give a S*** less!!!". :werd: lmao

The second thing that occurred to me was the plug was pushed down, so it was no longer sealing. This is where all of the trans fluid went. And it's going ot leak again. But again... NOT MY DAMN PROBLEM!!!! lol.

so we get it all back together, dump 4 quarts into it (wasnt me putting it in, so don't care) and he went for a test drive. He got 4 houses down from me, busted a U and came back. But he DIDN'T COME BACK TO MY HOUSE!!!!!! :yahoo:

As he was walking over, I yelled "I GUESS THAT ANSWERS MY QUESTION!!!!". He goes "Your damn right!". He told me it shifted through teh gears, had power again, and it was his brothers problem now. so I didn't botch the rebuild. Yup, relieved.

so a huge amount of stress has been lifted off of me.

Now, I need to pull the transmission out of a 2000 GMC Jimmy and rebuild that one... It's never going to end... :sad2:

8. Breeze400

Breeze400 Bitchin' Member - Rest In Peace Brother! You Will

Well that's a relief to know that " it's not your problem " anymore! Lol guess his brother can fine done one eltz to fix it now!

9. Tony

Nothing to fix now. It's driving. However it did start running rough while it was here. Then I noticed that one of the O2 sensors had been cut. And he told me that his brother said "OH, I don't need those...". Then started complaining about his MPG... When you take an OBD2 computer and force it into SD mode by cutting an O2, it's going to run pig rich no matter what you do. Oh well, as stated, it's not my problem now. But he does owe me and his brother for 4 hours of work.... I don't ever expect to see that money.

10. Breeze400

Breeze400 Bitchin' Member - Rest In Peace Brother! You Will

Some people hell even in cat delete off road systems there are o2 censer mounts In The pypes! Oh well. I hope you get payed anyways.

11. Tony

I'm not holding my breath. I'm pretty sure that day went to waste. And, I just had someone else come to me "needing" me to do another transmission rebuild as well as an engine rebuild. I'm never going to get a damn day off...

12. Paulster2

Government Weenie
    Home Page:
    I'm glad it "isn't your problem" as well. I'm also glad the relative of the owner was on your side of the fence. Makes things easier. I'm also glad it was a relatively easy fix (a lot better than a re-rebuild, that's for sure). You have reinvigorated my faith in your tranny rebuild mastery :biggrin:

13. Tony

I may have "reinvigorated your faith" in my trans rebuilds, but I'm still NOT rebuilding your transmission hahahahahaha. I do have this damn Jimmy to do though as well as a 2000 Chevy truck trans AND engine... It's never going to end. If my dad wasn't already dead, I would kill him for teaching me to work on cars.

14. Paulster2

Government Weenie
    Home Page:
    Oh, shut your pie-hole, slacker! You love working on cars whether you want to admit to it or not! :chuckles:

15. fran11784

fran11784 New Member

Hey Tony, just read this whole post. Here's a tip, there is a tool for pushing out the 4 retention tabs on the case connector. Very difficult to remove that connector without breaking a few of those tabs. Next time you order parts, order your self a 4L80E center support bushing. That bushing, "any year" fits just right over the connector and compresses the tabs. Then use the back of a screwdriver to push it out. Works great for 7 bucks or so. If you get a unit with the tabs already broke, Sonnax makes a bracket that bolts to the EPC solenoid bracket and will hold the connector up in the case. Sonnax #77980-01K.... Cheers, T

16. Tony

I knew about the tool to remove the plug, but I did not know they sold something that held a broke plug into the case. That is awesome!

Thankfully, I have not seen this truck since that last day when I replaced the shift cable that was completely broke in half and held in place with zip ties and found the plug pushed into the pan. Unfortunately though, they tried to drive it way too much with it puking out oil and they did burn up that transmission in about 3 months from the rebuild. Oil was completely black from what I heard. But, because they did not let me install that trans, it was on them. Fortunate for me I guess.

I need two tools for this transmission that I can't find for a cheap price, and maybe you can help out. The first one I need is the tool to remove that spring pack in the low/reverse drum (and I think the 3/4 drum, been a while lmao). I know there is a foot pedal one that is awesome which we had at the trans shop when I worked there years ago. The other tool I need is the Teflon Seal Installer for the pump. That little thing is stupid expensive! Do you know where I can get those two tools for a good price?

17. fran11784

fran11784 New Member

Well, the rear spring compressor I could get for about 50 bucks. But hate that thing. I use the foot press pretty much for everything. The input clutch housing tool, probability about 50 bucks also. But again, I use the foot press. For the turbine shaft teflon ring tool, they sell the installer and sizer separate. (stupid) like 170 bucks for the kentmoore tool. You have probably been looking but Ebay is going to be the best place. You could get a whole kit for like 90 dollars. I seen the low/reverse tool for 20 bucks free shipping. I know what you mean tho, freaken tools are ridiculously priced. I have so many home made tools from over the years. Adapt-a-case is another source but their pricey too. Keep checking Ebay... I'll keep my eyes open for you too.

18. Tony

Ah my bad. I actually have the low/reverse tool. That is the large T handle looking tool. I actually have two of those lmao. I ordered one and the threads were crusty to say the least, so I had them send me another one, and it was the same way. So I just sat down with a file and cleaned up the threads. The tool I need is the one made to remove that spring pack from inside the drums. And yup, what you are seeing is what I"m seeing. I think I just need to fix my welder and make my own tools for this stuff. You know, make my own foot pedal that I know works and is very easy and no screwing and unscrewing lmao.

The installer (and resizer, I forgot about that. I just used a hose clamp with an old soda can to shrink them down lol) is pretty much on par for what I have seen. Makes me want a lathe really bad because I could just make that tool out of Teflon. But my luck, a chunk of Teflon that size would cost just as much as buying the actual tool lol.

19. fran11784

fran11784 New Member

Well you know what alot of guys use for the drums? An arbor press. Then you only need to make some sort of cross peace for the spring packs...

20. Tony

That's true, and I guess one could use a 1/4" steel pipe to make the die out of, just cut some pieces out so you can get to the snap ring. Never thought of that. And that press would be good for some other things as well which I usually use a BFH on... lol