1. Hello Guest, if you are having any kind of issues with the site, please email Admin@BrokeAuto.com and let me know what is going on. I will do what I can to get the issue resolved quickly. This site is still a work in progress and there is a lot to be done so any info you can give me will really help. Thank you!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. I have disabled email verification due to some email issues. Now, just fill out your info and your done. I have also gotten rid of the reCaptcha and I'm now doing a noCaptcha where you just click a check box. Super simple and faster than ever! Please let us know if you have any issues or need to be verified. Thanks!
    Dismiss Notice

Import 96 Impreza EG33 Swap

Discussion in 'Engine' started by Paulster2, Feb 14, 2018.

1. Paulster2

Paulster2 My VTEC Won't VTEC...

Government Weenie
    Home Page:
    In case anyone on here was wondering what I've been working on lately, it's trying to get my son's Impreza up and running. I started an engine swap for him a while back (don't ask - it's been a while). One of the issues I've been having is it wasn't running on all six cylinders. In fact, it was running on about three cylinders. Let me digress a second ...

For the uninitiated, the 96 Impreza came with an EJ22. This is a 2.2L horizontally opposed four cylinder engine. From 92-97 (IIRC) Subaru made this ugly little "sports car" called the SVX. It came with an EG33, which is a 3.3L horizontally opposed six cylinder. The great thing about the EG33 is, it's the same engine as the EJ22, but with two more cylinders. What this means is, it will bolt up directly to the transmission in the Impreza. There's two main things you have to do to get it running, which is get the SVX ECU to work along with the Impreza ECU. The SVX ECU runs the engine, while the Impreza ECU runs the gauges and such. It's not a pretty marriage, but it works.

I've had the engine in the car for the past while with it able to start. The problem, as stated above, was with it running correctly. Finally today, I figured it out. The connectors at the ECU weren't allowing the injectors to fire correctly on three of the six cylinders. Ran like a dog. I did some slight mods to the connectors and this is what I have:

[video=youtube_share;4FoZaobVvnY]https://youtu.be/4FoZaobVvnY[/video]

As you can tell, there is still a slight bobble in the idle, but it seems to rev pretty well. I think the #1 injector isn't firing like it should, so I'm going to pull it out and clean/check it again. It's running about 1000% better than it was about an hour ago ... now just need to get things buttoned up on it so I can get it back to my son.

2. Tony

Tony Administrator Staff Member

If that was on an LT1 or LS1, I would be looking for either a vacuum leak, or a lazy IAC solenoid.

3. Paulster2

Paulster2 My VTEC Won't VTEC...

Government Weenie
    Home Page:
    I'm pretty sure it's still the connection at the ECU for one of the injectors. A guy on a FB Subie group gave me a tip to tweak the connector over about 10° sideways where it connects to the ECU pin. I think the #1 is still not making a good connection. I can wiggle the wires at the ECU and a cylinder will drop out. I may go back in and tweak all of them so they'll be sure to connect.