1. Hello Guest, if you are having any kind of issues with the site, please email Admin@BrokeAuto.com and let me know what is going on. I will do what I can to get the issue resolved quickly. This site is still a work in progress and there is a lot to be done so any info you can give me will really help. Thank you!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. I have disabled email verification due to some email issues. Now, just fill out your info and your done. I have also gotten rid of the reCaptcha and I'm now doing a noCaptcha where you just click a check box. Super simple and faster than ever! Please let us know if you have any issues or need to be verified. Thanks!
    Dismiss Notice

Import Aluminum Brazing

Discussion in 'Misc.' started by Paulster2, Feb 10, 2018.

1. Paulster2

Paulster2 My VTEC Won't VTEC...

Government Weenie
    Home Page:
    Has anyone done any aluminum brazing? How different is it from regular brazing? I've done some of that and it isn't too hard. With it, you have to heat the metal up so you can see it glow. Not sure how you'd do that with aluminum as I don't think it glows ... well, at least not like steel/iron. I don't have a way to weld it, so I bought this Low Temp Aluminum Welding Rods from Harbor Freight. I figured I can get a decent braze going with it and it should hold just fine for what I have in mind. I'll be starting a thread in the Projects section later (hopefully later today) which will explain what all of this is about. You'll probably be surprised at what I'm doing because it's quite an adventure and quite a bit of work. It's been sitting in the garage for way too long, so I've got to get it done.

2. Tony

Tony Administrator Staff Member

With that high temp solder (pretty much what it is), you just heat up the metal and keep touching the rod to it. once it starts to melt or "flow", then you will lay the rod into what you are working on. It is a very weak joint, but if it is not load bearing, it should work fine. There are many videos on YT showing this with an aluminum can. I think it's something like 240ÂșC (I know I'm wrong about that temp lol) before it flows.

so what are ya working on?

3. Paulster2

Government Weenie
    Home Page:
    I had a huge problem with it ... might have worked with an acetylene torch, but doesn't work with a propane one. You cannot heat the aluminum hot enough, quick enough for it to melt the Alumiweld rod. The flame will melt it, but the metal won't like you'd expect with brazing. I gave up and just pop-riveted the brackets into place. If the brazing had worked, I was planning on brazing all for sides of the connection. It would have been more than enough to hold them in place. Brazing is actually pretty strong. It would have held without issue.

4. Tony

Try using MAP Gas next time. It's hotter than propane. But you are right, aluminum will sink away the heat 7x faster than mild steel. So you need a much hotter flame.

5. Paulster2

Government Weenie
    Home Page:
    Next time I try this, I can probably back the aluminum with some steel, which would heat sink the metal and, once hot enough, allow me to get the rod to braze correctly. Oh, well ... next time, lol.

6. Tony

The ideal way to do it is obviously with oxy acetylene, but if you are like me, you don't want to drop a few hundred on a setup.

7. Paulster2

Government Weenie
    Home Page:
    One of those future purchases. I love how Oxy/Ace cuts and I'm really good at gas welding, so would love to have a setup. Definitely not something I'm going to be looking to do for a while yet. I still need to open up some space in the garage. I want to get a new toolbox to store a lot of these newer tools I've bought over the last few months ... there's actually quite a few things I want to buy, plus the daughter will be starting college this fall, so there's that as well. I think I need to get busy on flipping these two Camaros I have (both 3rd gens) so I can recoup some of my funds. We'll see, lol.

8. Tony

Alex is starting collage? Wow... Time is going by way too fast...