1. Hello Guest, if you are having any kind of issues with the site, please email Admin@BrokeAuto.com and let me know what is going on. I will do what I can to get the issue resolved quickly. This site is still a work in progress and there is a lot to be done so any info you can give me will really help. Thank you!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. I have disabled email verification due to some email issues. Now, just fill out your info and your done. I have also gotten rid of the reCaptcha and I'm now doing a noCaptcha where you just click a check box. Super simple and faster than ever! Please let us know if you have any issues or need to be verified. Thanks!
    Dismiss Notice

GM Fuel pump

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by Ronald Kessler, Jun 16, 2018.

1. Ronald Kessler

Ronald Kessler New Member

Getting ready to drop the gas tank on a 1993 Silverado 1500 2 wheel drive pickup truck. Any tips or magic tricks on changing the fuel pump.

2. Tony

Tony Administrator Staff Member

Yup, I have a great tip. Don't drop the tank. It's a royal PITA if there is fuel in it lmao. I would rather just call a few buddies and grab a case of beer and pull the bed. With my back, it's way easier to do it that way than trying to manhandle the tank out of there. And if you are like me when I dropped my first tank, I literally dropped it, right off the jack lmao.

but, if this is the only way you can get it out, I would siphon out as much fuel as you possibly can. Once the tank is down, use an air compressor to blow off and then wipe around where you are going to be pulling the pump from. So this before you crack that seal. I'm sure they make a tool to take that locking ring off, but I just use a screwdriver and a little packer hammer.

For the fuel lines, I'm pretty sure they used those snap on fittings which you WILL need a tool to remove them. You can try to make your own, but they are only a few dollars at the parts store or harbor freight. They are just called fuel line disconnect fittings or something lol.

and mind the lines when you are coming down and definitely change the fuel filter while you are there.

3. Tony

Tony Administrator Staff Member

Hey Ronald, how are you getting along on this fuel pump change?