1. Hello Guest, if you are having any kind of issues with the site, please email Admin@BrokeAuto.com and let me know what is going on. I will do what I can to get the issue resolved quickly. This site is still a work in progress and there is a lot to be done so any info you can give me will really help. Thank you!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. I have disabled email verification due to some email issues. Now, just fill out your info and your done. I have also gotten rid of the reCaptcha and I'm now doing a noCaptcha where you just click a check box. Super simple and faster than ever! Please let us know if you have any issues or need to be verified. Thanks!
    Dismiss Notice

Mopar Head Gasket Repair

Discussion in 'Engine' started by Paulster2, Mar 4, 2014.

1. Tony

Tony Administrator Staff Member

Yeah, it's pretty common for heads to crack right between the intake and exhaust valve. There is a lot of heat and pressure there. Sucks, but it is what it is. At least the machine shop pointed you in the right direction instead of just telling you to bring them in and charge you for a bath and magnaflux... Straight up shop it sounds like.

2. Breeze400

Breeze400 Bitchin' Member - Rest In Peace Brother! You Will

Oh I'm sorry I thought you said there was healicoils in the block.

3. Paulster2

Paulster2 My VTEC Won't VTEC...

Government Weenie
    Home Page:
    Not in the block, just in the head at the exhaust port.

4. Breeze400

Ok I miss understood. Lol wish the weather would improve so that I can get my exhaust system done. We just go another two feet of snow yesterday and tomorrow it's going to be almost 50. Yuck! Big mess! Our terminal lots are big mud pits now after the melt off earlier in the week.

5. Paulster2

Government Weenie
    Home Page:
    The owners of the truck agreed to send the money to purchase the rebuilt heads. I was a little worried about it because they were sending me a check from out of state to cover it. I don't know if you guys have ever dealt with out of state checks, but banks can put a hold on them for up to seven business days. That really sucks. Well, I got the check yesterday. It was actually from my same bank, so was able to cash it without issue. Came home and ordered the heads right away and they should arrive on Monday or Tuesday latest. Tomorrow it's supposed to be nice out, so I'm going to do cleanup on the extraneous parts and chase some threads. Hopefully I should be ready for the heads when they get here and I'll only have to put it all back together. I'll let you know.

6. murankar

murankar Member

Ask them to send a cashier's check then or a money order.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Forum Runner

7. murankar

murankar Member

Never mind you got the check already.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Forum Runner

8. Paulster2

Government Weenie
    Home Page:
    Yes, already got the check and cashed it. Believe me when I say, they won't get the truck until I get the money for the work :biggrin:

I was able to get a bunch of stuff cleaned up today. A lot of the visible things, like the intake manifold (though it didn't help much visibly ... also put new injector o-rings in it as well as a new throttle body gasket), the valve covers, and a couple of brackets. Trying to ensure it looks like I was taking some care when I put it back together. Don't want the clean heads to get lost in a bunch of grime.

9. Tony

As a show of gratitude, you could do a quick scotch brite job and spray the engine with some cheap paint to make it look even better. You and I know it will not last, but it will be that "extra step" they are more than likely going to need after having to purchase new heads.

10. Paulster2

Government Weenie
    Home Page:
    I'm wondering if I have any VHT paint I could throw on the heads and what the heck the "Mopar color" is ... I mean, there's Ford blue and Chevy Orange. Does Mopar have a color? Maybe it's purple ...

The valve covers cleaned up to their blackness pretty good. I wish my blasting cabinet was big enough to have thrown the intake manifold in (and that it was actually working, lol). It would have looked a lot better cleaned up, that's for sure.

11. Paulster2

Government Weenie
    Home Page:
    I noticed the shipping info hadn't updated from UPS, so sent a note to the guy asking what the deal was. He said the heads had got put into the wrong pile, so instead of them going out on Friday like they were supposed to, they didn't get out until Monday morning. I would have had them already, but I guess that's no big deal. The shipping info now gives me a timeline of tomorrow afternoon as delivery time, which was in the original window. It really doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things, because I am not going to be working in the weather we have right now anyway. It actually snowed today! It is supposed to be in the 50's the rest of this week and up to the 70's next week. I'm hoping to have the truck done this weekend, but we'll see how things go.

12. Tony

That is why you work in the garage with a heater lol.

13. Paulster2

Government Weenie
    Home Page:
    If only ... One of my dreams. The wife said if I had a garage to hide stuff, I could have whatever I wanted ... as long as she didn't have to see it. Of course, affordability comes in there as well. I can imagine a 100'x50' garage one day :biggrin: Knock out what I'm doing right now without an issue, lol!

14. Paulster2

Government Weenie
    Home Page:
    The heads finally showed up today. Hoping it will be just a we bit warmer tomorrow so I can work on it a bit. Hoping to have it all done by Saturday. We'll see, lol.

15. Tony

get it done!

16. Paulster2

Government Weenie
    Home Page:
    I got the deck cleaned up and the threads chased for the head bolts tonight. I forgot how arduous it is to chase threads with the block still in the truck, lol! I pulled the heads out of the boxes to take a look. I figured out really quick there was some work done on this truck in the past. The 318/360 SB Chrysler engine has two different heads (referred to as 488/671, I believe). Well, both of the heads I pulled off are 488's, so now I have to figure out which one goes one which side, lol! It might be one of the reasons the engine had problems in the first place. I ended up putting the heads back in the box for tonight, as research is in order before I can put them on the block. I'll let you know what I find out.

17. Tony

Who would design an engine with two different heads? lmao. That makes no sense to me at all. Guess I have not been into Mopars as much as I thought. I never know this lmao.

18. Paulster2

Government Weenie
    Home Page:
    This has to do with the Magnum (roller cam) version, not the older LA small block Mopar. I don't know which way they go and it does not appear that there is much out there about the difference or which one goes where information.

19. Breeze400

I never heard of two differant heads myself. I worked on many 383's and 440's and some older 369's and never came across this. Hmmmm.

20. Paulster2

Government Weenie
    Home Page:
    Yes, but those are BBChrysler engines, not the SBChrysler I'm working on. This is also a Magnum, so is a roller motor. The LA or older version, didn't have the mixed heads, to my understanding.