1. Hello Guest, if you are having any kind of issues with the site, please email Admin@BrokeAuto.com and let me know what is going on. I will do what I can to get the issue resolved quickly. This site is still a work in progress and there is a lot to be done so any info you can give me will really help. Thank you!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. I have disabled email verification due to some email issues. Now, just fill out your info and your done. I have also gotten rid of the reCaptcha and I'm now doing a noCaptcha where you just click a check box. Super simple and faster than ever! Please let us know if you have any issues or need to be verified. Thanks!
    Dismiss Notice

Mopar Head Gasket Repair

Discussion in 'Engine' started by Paulster2, Mar 4, 2014.

1. Tony

Tony Administrator Staff Member

I try to follow, but my brain is shutting down...

2. Paulster2

Paulster2 My VTEC Won't VTEC...

Government Weenie
    Home Page:
    I thought I'd share some pictures of today's work and the conditions I was working in (under, actually, lol):

Here's what I had to do, since this truck is outside and it's raining ( and yes, a heated garage would be nice, Tony ...)

IMG_0167_redux.jpg

IMG_0169_redux.jpg

I got the heads on:

IMG_0168_redux.jpg

Here are the rockers, getting ready to put the intake on:

IMG_0171_redux.jpg

With the intake on:

IMG_0172_redux.jpg

I now have the valve covers, exhaust manifolds, and most of the wiring hooked up. I still have to put the accessories on, as well as put the plugs in and new wires on the cap. I'll then change the oil and fill the radiator, throw the battery in, and call it a day (hopefully).

3. Paulster2

Government Weenie
    Home Page:
    Oh, I was going to mention, in case any of you got a wild hair up your butt and decided to put new intake manifold gaskets on a Magnum. First of all, the bolts on the intake manifold are torque-2-yield bolts ... or at least you should put new ones on there when you change out the intake manifold. When you go to torque the thing in, it is quite (according to the book) a five step process. In actuality, it turns into about a seven stage process to ensure all of the bolts are torqued correctly. So, the first stage is torquing the middle four bolts, in order, starting a 12 in lbs, and going up to 72 in lbs in 12 lb increments. The second stage is torquing the other eight bolts, in order) to 72 in lbs (one torque step). The third stage is re-torquing all of the bolts to ensure they are at 72 in lbs (which they are not and so you go through it a second time to ensure they are all there). The fourth stage is torquing all of the bolts to 144 in lbs, in order. Then the fifth stage is re-torquing all of them again to 144 in lbs, to ensure the are all the same (which they're not, and requires you to go through them again, because they won't be the same). What a PITB.

4. Breeze400

Breeze400 Bitchin' Member - Rest In Peace Brother! You Will

Wow lots involved there. We are going to get freezing rain then anougher round of snow! Yuck!

5. Tony

Yup, I ran into that issue with the ford intake. I started in the center, worked my way out, then the center was loose lol. Just one of those things.

But it's coming together. Keep up the good work!

6. Paulster2

Government Weenie
    Home Page:
    I haven't taken a picture yet of where I'm at. I have valve covers on and most all of the wiring. It actually looks like an engine where the accessory monster came along and stole all the front end stuff :chuckles:

7. Paulster2

Government Weenie
    Home Page:
    Only a couple of things left to do and it will be together. I should have it up and running tomorrow, but it will only be running for a short time. Seems my lard butt, sitting up top working on the engine, has caused a crack in the radiator (at the mount in the plastic tank). So I have to wait until I get a new one delivered. The fun never ends.

8. Paulster2

Government Weenie
    Home Page:
    Well the truck is all back together, but I now have another issue. Does anyone know if a blown headgasket (or cracked head in this case) can cause the cat to plug? This is surely what the truck sounds like it's doing. You step on the gas, it revs to about 1500 rpm (maximum) and then cannot die well enough to get out of its own way. I'll let it settle back down to an idle, it will smooth out in a few seconds, then will idle just fine. Any thoughts?

9. Breeze400

Breeze400 Bitchin' Member - Rest In Peace Brother! You Will

Sounds like a pluged converter to me!

10. Tony

Unless you have an intake gasket that is not seated correctly, I would think cat as well. Might see if you can undo the exhaust in front of the cat and start it up. It's going to be loud, but if it rev's up, then you know what the issue is.

11. Paulster2

Government Weenie
    Home Page:
    I could do that, but the only place is at the back of the exhaust manifold ... we're talking run the neighbors out of the neighborhood loud. I guess I did start my Camaro with open headers at least once ... had to get it down to the shop one way or another :biggrin:. Yah, suppose I could do that. This truck is making me remember why I never did this for a living.

12. Tony

Just remember to soak those bolts with some PB over night, or for at least 4 hours before you even try to break them loose. And if it is still really tight, apply heat. I know you know this, just sayin'.

13. Paulster2

Government Weenie
    Home Page:
    I had to remove them for the head change, so no problem there.

14. Tony

Well then fire that sucker up and meet your local police!!!

15. Paulster2

Government Weenie
    Home Page:
    :headbang:

16. Paulster2

Government Weenie
    Home Page:
    Well, there is no doubt in my mind I made the right choice. Take a look at the picture below:

20140410_184300.jpg

If you look through the hole, I bet you'll see something askew ... :chuckles: ... I couldn't believe this! I'm betting this is the reason the truck had problems in the first place. I called the owner today and let them know it was ready for them. While I was talking to her, she said that her husband would drive it to work and he would have to cram on the gas pedal to get it to go ... gee, I wonder why. Anyway, it fires right up now, idles great. I haven't yet taken it for a test drive, but that's an easy thing.

17. Tony

So did you replace it, or just put a pipe in it's place?

18. Paulster2

Government Weenie
    Home Page:
    I put a Magnaflow replacement one n there ... Not a lot of fun, but it's done!

19. Tony

Right on. Now it's time for me to head to the garage...

20. callsign4223

callsign4223 New Member

Come on, that's the new high contact area variant mandated by the EPA.