1. Hello Guest, if you are having any kind of issues with the site, please email Admin@BrokeAuto.com and let me know what is going on. I will do what I can to get the issue resolved quickly. This site is still a work in progress and there is a lot to be done so any info you can give me will really help. Thank you!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. I have disabled email verification due to some email issues. Now, just fill out your info and your done. I have also gotten rid of the reCaptcha and I'm now doing a noCaptcha where you just click a check box. Super simple and faster than ever! Please let us know if you have any issues or need to be verified. Thanks!
    Dismiss Notice

My $800 1992 Chevy 1500

Discussion in 'Pictures & Videos' started by Emil, Jan 25, 2014.

1. Emil

Emil New Member

Seeking Employment
    Ok here goes. I picked this up Christmas Eve 2012 about 6 months after being forced to sell my bmw(which is in great hands now). Funny story how I got the truck. I was buying it from a couple, one of which used to date my brother. Come to find they were supposed to be making payments to the original owner but they hadn't paid him a dime in 3 months. One day I was driving in the truck and this guy starts riding my ass chasing me down in a little Nissan sentra. Got to a light and he asked me to pull over. We got to talking and he showed me the title for the truck and his license which is in his name. He tells me the people haven't paid him a dime and at this point I had given them 300 towards the truck. The owner and I sat down wrote up a bill of sale and he sold it to me for $800. He took payments from me of $200 every 2 weeks which was even better. Needless to say the other 'buyers' were pissed and tried threatening me with grand theft auto and all kinds of other stuff. Just trying to bully me.

When it first became mine it didn't have a tailgate or a rear bumper, a tool box. It was pretty much a truck with 2 4x6 speakers in the dash lol. Over time and trips to the junkyard and searching craigslist I've made some nice new additions. The only brand new part on it is the headlights and I only paid 60 for them. I got a tail gate from a 90's gmc for 25. The rear bumper was 30. A used toolbox was 40. The brush guard, side steps and bars on the bed cost me 70. I have to patch some rust on the side steps when it warms up so I can take the cheap plastic ones off. Body work I stripped off the chrome on the grill and painted it a flat black. I also tore apart the bow emblem and did a red back ground which I think looks great. I started sanding the cab down and primering it black. The truck was blue originally and the owner I bought it from decided to paint it black with a paint brush...he didn't sand anything at all just slapped a coat of what looks like house paint over the body lol. So far I have the passenger side of the cab and the roof done. When it warms up I will be finishing the cab and starting on the front clip. For the bed I'm going to have to invest in a nice heavy duty sander. I also picked up a cheap 12" sub and 550w amp for 70 bucks. I replaced the stock 4x6's in the dash and added 2 6x9's in the back as well. I'm happy with the system now, not ridiculously loud and its clear. Anywho on to the pics I do have. I'll get some more new ones over the next few days.

Day I got the truck
    1.jpg

tailgate and toolbox
    2.jpg

these dinky fog lights are gone. Though with the original head lights these put out more light to see the road lol
    3.jpg

see the paint peeling to the original blue
    4.jpg

rented some 31" mickey Thompson mud tires for a couple months but for the price of renting they weren't worth it
    5.jpg

cheap side steps that I picked up at the thrift store for $4 lol have new/used ones for a chevy that im putting on in the near future
    6.jpg

the bow tie done before I stripped the chrome off lol woops. and my drink of choice the mighty mountain dew
    7.jpg

later that day I had finished the grill and installed the brush guard
    8.jpg

passenger door sanded and primered
    9.jpg

both cylinders locked up on a fishing trip lol
    10.jpg

got a little dirty at a bonfire a few of us had. I lost the phone that had all the pics from this night sadly
    11.jpg

and of course more to come

2. Paulster2

Paulster2 My VTEC Won't VTEC...

Government Weenie
    Home Page:
    That is a great looking $800 truck. I wish I could fall into deals like that! :respekt:

3. Emil

Emil New Member

Seeking Employment
    Thank ya lol. Still has a lot of work to be done. Im lookin for a set of 33" all terrains. It has a 3" body lift. Need to replace the upper control arm bushings soon. I found a set of polyurethane bushings for about $65 for both sides upper and lower.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh I also replaced the dashboard with one I picked up from the junk yard. Also had to hard wire the cigarette lighter to the battery because I kept blowing the fuse lol.
    The interior is in pretty good shape being 22 years old. Only 2 tears on the driver seat from being used that I stitched up with some needle and thread.

And here is a picture of my lovely ex and also my future wife driving my truck lol. She's an amazing woman and kept her word about quitting if I got fired over some bs. She's my best friend now.
    12.jpg

4. Tony

Tony Administrator Staff Member

Great pictures. Love seeing how a vehicle transforms over the weeks after you get it.

5. Emil

Emil New Member

Seeking Employment
    Ice was so bad I couldn't open the driver door lol
    13.jpg

A better view of the front with the new lights, grill painted black and the brush guard
    14.jpg

And next to the parts fetcher. Moms minivan lol.
    15.jpg

6. Tony

You know, I'm trying to look for this "bad ice" and I'm just not seeing it. Oh wait, are you talking about that 1/8" of ice that's on your truck? :biggrin:

7. Emil

Emil New Member

Seeking Employment
    Haha yea it was coated on the truck. The main roads were bad for the people in the south that's never had to drive in it. I had some fun myself driving around. The snowy looking stuff was solid ice it wasn't the usual fluffy snow

8. Tony

Come on up here to Oklahoma. We are getting ready to get some of hte fun stuff. Much more than you guys got down there lmao.

9. callsign4223

callsign4223 New Member

It's alright though Emil, people here in Oklahoma don't know how to deal with it much better than Georgians.

10. Emil

Emil New Member

Seeking Employment
    Lmao I know this was nothing down here. I'm used to more myself coming from the upper peninsula of Michigan. I didn't drive too much only because people down here have never seen ice and hardly even seen snow

11. Ronnie Friedline

Ronnie Friedline New Member

Man I miss the snow in Michigan, some awesome stuff up there right now, the snowmobilers are loving it. that's all I want the snow for. lol.

12. Tony

It's going to snow tonight, tomorrow, Monday and Tuesday. Then there is another system late next week.

13. Emil

Emil New Member

Seeking Employment
    I freakin miss the snow. I'm just glad I wasn't still in Atlanta with the madness that happened there. People in Georgia cant drive in the rain let along anything else lol

14. Paulster2

Paulster2 My VTEC Won't VTEC...

Government Weenie
    Home Page:
    Sounds like you are going to get more precip than you have in the past four years!

15. Ronnie Friedline

Ronnie Friedline New Member

no that's a negative there Paul, you said precip, that includes rain, and everything else. lol and last year or the year before half of our medics in woodward were not able to make it to work due to the amount of snow they got up here. LMAO and lets not get started with the amount of rain we get.

16. Emil

Emil New Member

Seeking Employment
    This weekend I put a msd distributor cap, rotor and ignition coil along with accell plug wires. Also replaced the oil pan gasket. This ole truck went 100 miles away last week with a trailer. Loaded it up with over 5000 lbs of plants and cruised back to town with little problems. When my dad's settlement comes in she's getting a new motor and tranny. Soon I'm doing the bushings up front with poly eurathane. Going to be upgrading the shocks and ball joints as well at the same time.