1. Hello Guest, if you are having any kind of issues with the site, please email Admin@BrokeAuto.com and let me know what is going on. I will do what I can to get the issue resolved quickly. This site is still a work in progress and there is a lot to be done so any info you can give me will really help. Thank you!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. I have disabled email verification due to some email issues. Now, just fill out your info and your done. I have also gotten rid of the reCaptcha and I'm now doing a noCaptcha where you just click a check box. Super simple and faster than ever! Please let us know if you have any issues or need to be verified. Thanks!
    Dismiss Notice

Nitrous, Supercharger, Turbocharger, What's Your Favorite?

Discussion in 'Power Adders' started by Tony, Jan 21, 2014.

?

What Is Your Favorite Power Adder?

1. Nitrous

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Supercharger (Whipple or centrifugal)

6 vote(s)
    100.0%
  3. Turbocharger

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. All Motor!!!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Tony

Tony Administrator Staff Member

I have been looking at multiple power adders here lately for the ole Z28, and it got me to thinking. I have no idea what power adder I like best and I want to know what you think.

IMO, Nitrous is hands down the cheapest out of all of them. You can just bolt it on and your done. Granted, you must know how much your engine can hold, but still, $600 for a full it is CHEAP!

Superchargers like the Procharger has to be my second favorite. From 0 lag time to that awesome sound, there is just nothing to not love about this thing. And, you can get a quiet version and no one will even know you have it until you leave them in the dust.

Turbochargers have to be my least favorite. From the huge turbo lag to the very limited space to actually mount these things, IMO, they are a hassle. Do they make power? YES. Do they sound friggin awesome? HELL YES. But from a pure hands down power standpoint vs the others, the turbo is not going to cut it.

Now given what I have wrote up there, I'm thinking about what I can do to the Z to give it a little more HP. Making this decision will ultimately decide many parts that I plan on running in the engine. If I go Nitrous, I will use forged pistons with high compression. If I go either of the boosted options, then I will do forged pistons with lower compression (8.5:1).

It will also determine what cam I'm going to run in the car. Right now, I'm looking for motor only cams like the CC306, but if I want to spray, I'm going to have to change my grind just slightly to make the most power. Same thing with boosted motors.

so my question to you all is, what would you do? N20, blower or turbo?

2. Stambo

Stambo New Member

Automotive Technician.
    For 4 and maybe smaller 6 cyl inline engines my preference would be turbo.
    V6 or V8 and larger inline 6 I would say supercharger.
    With bigger engines turbo lag can be an issue. You can mitigate this to a degree with twin turbo's but the cost and the setup increases exponentially, that's why I prefer the supercharger.
    Smaller engines don't need such a big turbo so lag is not an issue. You also have the benefit of a mild engine when not asking for it to perform to extremes.
    Supercharger is there and being driven whether you use it or not so will have an effect on fuel economy.
    As far as giggle gas is concerned, having to fill a bottle so you can go faster, to me is not really an option.
    With both other options you have you initial cost and hopefully no more and the extra performance is on tap as required.
    With turbo you can run a cabin operated variable boost controller so you can crank it up when you need it.

So to answer your question simply, my vote would be supercharger.

3. Paulster2

Paulster2 My VTEC Won't VTEC...

Government Weenie
    Home Page:
    Remember with the LT1, you are limited by how much boost you can run. The LT1 likes NO2 better, that's for sure. Anything about 6psi boost levels and you are talking a complete rebuild to bring the CR down to a comfortable 8.5-9:1. Even with race gas, you aren't going to get much more out of the LT1 without serious detonation problems. As an aside, even if you were running the lower CR, you'd have to ensure your bottom end could stand up to the abuse of higher boost levels anyway. For your setup the way it is now, I'd run a small shot nitrous setup (100 shot max). If you were thinking about a rebuild and a SC or TC is in the mix ... go for it! If going boost, I say a SC is the way to go. As a novice, trying to get a turbo setup right could be a true hassle (unless you buy a complete fab kit).

4. Tony

The issue that I would have with a turbo is space, or lack thereof. The kits that I'm seeing, the turbo is either a remote mount kit where it's mounted back where the muffler is supposed to go, or it's mounted in front of the crank pulley. I don't like either setup. Remote mount, you are looking at serious turbo lag. In front of the crank pulley, well, you know how many times I have had to replace that damn opti lmao.

The SC would be mounted where the air pump used to be located. It would run off another pulley mounted to the crank pulley, so mounting and plumbing would be much easier. And lets face it, the sound of a SC is just awesome. And HELL YES I would get the loud one lol. If I would put a Paxton 8-71 on top of that engine I would do it hehe. But, there again, no room.

I do think a cam and a small shot of spray is the way to go though.

And yes, when an engine is running 11.5:1 compression (or is it 12:1? can't remember), boost is NOT your friend lmao. Anyone know where I can get a set of Ford 36# injectors? I'm going to need it for a cam install...

5. Stambo

Stambo New Member

Automotive Technician.
    Eww, you gonna contaminate your Chev with ford stuff. :biggrin:

6. Tony

I REALLY hate to admit it, but when you go for injectors, the ford injectors not only just work like they should, but they are much cheaper than any of the others out there. But, I can hide these under a cover lmao.

7. Ronnie Friedline

Ronnie Friedline New Member

A lot of the guys that I see out there with lt and ls motors are running nitrous not boost. If they are boosted they are built for it. I agree tony. By the way you are talking nitrous is not only the cheapest (BROKEAUTO) but quickest way to get that added power you need.... Want.
    I say go for the nitrous.

8. Tony

I'm pretty sure, some day, this car will be a bottle baby. Sure would like some boost some day though lol. Need to find that bitchin deal on an SC first though...

9. Emil

Emil New Member

Seeking Employment
    I had a 1998 grand prix gtp. Had the 3800 series II motor with the supercharger. With a few bolt ons and such I had it running high 11's low 12's in the quarter. I absolutely love superchargers. Just cant beat that whine lol.

10. Tony

I have thought quite seriously about putting the SC 3.8 in the V6 camaro that I have. I'm just not sure what all woudl have to be done to the car to make it work.

11. Paulster2

Government Weenie
    Home Page:
    Other than the obvious (engine, computer), I would bet not much.

12. Tony

Well here is the thing. I have never run boost, so I'm not sure how this would work. In a regular car, the engine produces a vacuum in the intake and that is what drives all of the doors on the HVAC system. If you are running boost, then it would drive them backwards, and depending on how much boost you have, could just blow them out. Then there is the whole accessory list and will it still work or will you have to custom make P/S hoses and so on... I know my transmission that I have for this car will work with a 3.8, I built that thing to withstand about 500HP, and we know that car is not going to see that lmao. Oh, and clearance under the hood is another issue.

Dammit, I just need to find an engine, computer and maybe a wiring harness and try this out. Or, just find the S/C. What sucks is, I have a Buick sitting next door that has that engine in it, I just can't touch it lmao.

13. Breeze400

Breeze400 Bitchin' Member - Rest In Peace Brother! You Will

Even a blower has an air intake weather TB or carb! There's your suction! Lol

14. Tony

Actually no, there is no way to pull a vacuum in the tract between the filter and the S/C. In an intake, you have pistons going up and down trying to suck in air as fast as possible, but a TB that is holding that air back this creating a vacuum.

15. Paulster2

Government Weenie
    Home Page:
    I had forgotten about that aspect, and you are entirely correct. You also have the brake booster to worry about as well. There is the hyrdoboost system out there, which I think is pretty awesome, but you'd have to do some retro-fitting to get it to work.

16. Tony

Yeah, I was thinking that you would have to run some kind of vacuum pump to make everything work the way it should. NOthing like forcing air into yoru booster to make it even harder to stop lmao.

17. Tony

Of course there is a check valve just for this reason... Damn, must have had a LOT to drink that night...