1. Hello Guest, if you are having any kind of issues with the site, please email Admin@BrokeAuto.com and let me know what is going on. I will do what I can to get the issue resolved quickly. This site is still a work in progress and there is a lot to be done so any info you can give me will really help. Thank you!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. I have disabled email verification due to some email issues. Now, just fill out your info and your done. I have also gotten rid of the reCaptcha and I'm now doing a noCaptcha where you just click a check box. Super simple and faster than ever! Please let us know if you have any issues or need to be verified. Thanks!
    Dismiss Notice

GM Project: 97 Camaro Rebirth

Discussion in 'Engine' started by Tony, Jan 30, 2014.

1. Tony

Tony Administrator Staff Member

The issue there is, most are going to leave it in. Yes, it would be much easier and abotu 3 hours faster to fix that ABS plug with the engine out, but sometimes you have to sacrafice things to do it the way people want to see it done. Looking at just the head gasket kit price, it's about $200. The head bolts are about $25 and have to be replaced because they are made to stretch. Just trying to figure out anything else that I might need.

2. murankar

murankar Member

Pull it. You'll be able to show what it is your doing a lot easier. If someone is thinking of doing this job they will need to know upfront what's needed to do it right.

This should be about doing it right not quick. Folks need to see what's involved with such a job and since you have some time it might be the best option.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Forum Runner

3. Tony

this project has already started. As stated before, most people don't have an engine hoist. And I REALLY dont' want to listen to the haters out there bitching about "you should take it out the bottom, it's easier...". At this time, I have the plenum off the intake and I'm not liking what I see. Most of the bolts were loose. I'm talking, I took them off with a very small wrench. A couple of them were almost finger tight. There is water sitting on the passenger side of the intake, but this could have been drainage from all of the snow that was on the car. But I would think that would have evaporated by now. It's not gas, I know that.

It didn't seem that the gasket between the intake and plenum was very tight at all. I'm wondering if I should move past the intake... The intake gasket it's self is about $80 so I damn sure don't want to replace it twice. I think I will just go ahead and dive into it and do the head gaskets since that is what the video I have been shooting is all about.

My back is killing me...

4. Ronnie Friedline

Ronnie Friedline New Member

Come on man don't kill yourself doing it all before I get there. Thought we talked about this. Lmao. How far in are you. I'll be there sat night "not that I will feel like doing much getting off shift and driving 3 hrs down there" but Sunday its on.....

5. Tony

I have only gotten down to the lower intake manifold. Just walking through each piece to see if I can find anything that is bad. And I have found a few things...

6. Ronnie Friedline

Well that sucks. Wish I was there already. Wanted to see the full tear down.

7. Tony

Then get your butt down here lmao. I will be doing more to it tonight as well. Can't do it during the day until I get that bee issue dealt with. Hopefully, it will get cold again and I can deal with them properly. But without snow this time... lol.

8. Tony

Here is where the engine sits now. Just took a screen grab from the video.

Part 11.jpg

9. Ronnie Friedline

If I could be down there already I would be believe me

10. Tony

I'm kinda starting to rethink this a little bit. I think a completely fresh engine would be best. I'm not talking rings and everything, but all new gaskets. I think it's about $200 for the complete gasket kit. I was looking at the head gasket kit, and the only difference between the two engines is the end seals for the lower intake that have locating pins. I have not gotten there yet, but I'm sure it has them. What sucks, this one little difference costs $100. For end seals... Yeah, I will reuse the ones I have, get the cheap kit and silicone the crap out of those things lol.

I don't know, I'm thinking I should just keep chugging along to do the heads as I'm doing them now just to get this car out of my life. Thoughts?

The ultimate end goal is to get this thing running right, replace the MAF, fix the ABS wire and sell it.

11. Ronnie Friedline

Sounds good. Little money to pour into site projects maybe

12. Tony

Little money to pour into my mortgage...

See what happens when you type on a phone or a tablet. They are crap and you don't want to type much. I had lots of questions up there, and you replied with "Sounds good". What sounds good? Pulling the engine? Just doing the head gaskets? Saying screw it and selling it as is? See where I'm going with this? lmao.

13. Ronnie Friedline

Lmao. I don't mind typing on this. Its not bad. Now, how much work do you really want to do to it is the question. If you want to do it right and get the best money you can out of it I would say a full reseal. That's your call boss. Lol. I don't mind helping with whatever it is that you wanna do with it. I would personally do the whole thing and not just to the heads. How's that for a dang response? :owned:

14. Tony

Here is what you are forgetting though. The interior is trash. Dash is cracked, missing the center console lid, stains all over the place. So getting the most out of it is not going to happen. And, it has a red front clip on it with a cayenne rest. Not to mention the clear is peeling off this car. Even after getting it running right, I think about $2000 is the most I can get out of this thing. And that is if I'm lucky. But now, being tax time, is the time to do it. ,

15. Ronnie Friedline

Right but its a 97 and it was a dd so I would expect that people would understand that there is wear and tear. Advertise it as a good first car. That's what I would do.

16. Tony

Just got off the phone with American Camaro & Firebird and they are wanting $850 for the engine. Um... NO! That is flat NOT going to happen. I can do a COMPLETE rebuild on this engine for less than that.

I did find out that I replaced this engine in '08, so we have gotten some good life out of it. Now to find the other cheap (yea right) parts to get this thing looking top notch.

One thing that may help in selling this car is it is a 30th anniversary edition. I think the seats are marked with that. So I need to get them cleaned up. But first, the engine... Then maybe, the transmission if I feel like it.

17. Ronnie Friedline

OK sounds good. I'm a good with saying that now. Lmao

18. Tony

Yeah, but you not be good with grammar... lmao.

Heading out to the garage to try and get a little more work done. Doubt I will do much with the friggin bee's out there...

19. Tony

Alright, we are back out in the garage (you know, me and the little voice inside my head...) and I found yet another issue with this engine. The bracket that holds the coil pack assembly is broke... I need to pull this off, but I can't get to the bolt that is on the back side of the head... Go figure.

So I'm just chugging along trying to get this intake pulled off so that I can look at the lifters. If you remember, this thing has a knock from hell when it's cold. So I'm going to put the old lifters in this engine since I'm going to be there anyway.

Time to start rolling camera...

20. Tony

This is turning into an absolute nightmare. There are two engine hoist hooks that are used to pick the engine up. With these in place, there is no way to access the last bolt on the valve covers. Without removing the valve covers, there is no way to remove the heads.

I did manage to get the intake off, and the gasket is looking pretty bad. I'm thinking one time when this car over heated, it blew out a portion of the gasket. Or, I may have broke it myself. Not sure. All I know is, I'm bleeding after that little run. I think this video is trash...