1. Hello Guest, if you are having any kind of issues with the site, please email Admin@BrokeAuto.com and let me know what is going on. I will do what I can to get the issue resolved quickly. This site is still a work in progress and there is a lot to be done so any info you can give me will really help. Thank you!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. I have disabled email verification due to some email issues. Now, just fill out your info and your done. I have also gotten rid of the reCaptcha and I'm now doing a noCaptcha where you just click a check box. Super simple and faster than ever! Please let us know if you have any issues or need to be verified. Thanks!
    Dismiss Notice

GM Project: 97 Camaro Rebirth

Discussion in 'Engine' started by Tony, Jan 30, 2014.

1. Tony

Tony Administrator Staff Member

Yup, because of this latest issue with the valve covers, I'm going to stop this project here and put it back together. There is just no use in going any further with the teardown. There is no white smoke coming out of this engine, so I am pretty sure the head gaskets are still okay. The break that I saw, I have just found out, was caused when I lifted the intake up. There are locating pins on the gasket and the gasket stayed stuck to the intake, and not the heads or block. Thus breaking the gasket.

I'm going to order some new gaskets and put this car back together. Without being able to remove the valve covers, there is nothing I can do for the lifters either even though I can see them.

It's always something...

2. Tony

Okay, so I did not touch this car all day yesterday. Decided to spend some time with the wife. But I was wanting to do something to it today, but I don't think that is going to happen either because of the damn bees. I'm getting so tired of them. I think tonight when it yet again drops into the 30's, I'm going to go out to the shed in the back and see if that is where they are coming from, and KILL THEIR ASS!!! Wasps too, I know they are back there. Just wish they would take a damn day off so I can get some work done.

3. Tony

So today, Ronnie and I went out and started tearing into this engine. The only thing that was stopping me from getting the heads off was this one lift bracket on teh back of the passenger head. We got that off and started pulling everything else. Finally, we were to the head. We did have to take the exhaust manifolds off the car, and could only pull the drivers side off. The passenger side we just had to leave in there while we pulled the heads.

Once the heads were off, I could see what looked like hairline cracks in the gasket. I thought to myself, "yup, that was the leak. Then my neighbor runs his fingernail over the block and his nail catches. I go over there and clean off the head gasket material, then stick the razor blade into the crack. Yup, there is a crack in the block. Actually, there is more than one. I stopped counting at 6. The engine is toast.

Not only that, the video that I was shooting is also junk since I'm not going to be doing a head gasket on this car. Now, I'm thinking that I will either make this car into a project car for the track, or I will just start parting it out. I'm not sure what I will do yet.

What would you do if you were in this situation?

4. Breeze400

Breeze400 Bitchin' Member - Rest In Peace Brother! You Will

Time to rip the motor out and get an outher motor!

5. Tony

A used engine, with 120,000 miles on it is $850. That is just not an option. And that is the cheap engine that I found. The others are over a grand.

6. Ronnie Friedline

Ronnie Friedline New Member

I like projects so I vote project car since I'm gonna be there helping. Lmao. But you already have a lt1 so its up to you. I will help with whatever.

7. Tony

Yeah, I'm just not sure what I want to do with it. If I do an LT1 swap on it, I already have everything except the A/C delete pulley (1LE). This brand new A/C system will not work with the V8's. It sucks, I know. But maybe i can get about $300 for this kit. Maybe.

I think I'm going to push it out of the garage and start ripping it apart. Put the seats in my truck, sell the wheels and tires, AC, transmission and so on, then run the car over the scales. I just think an S10, C10, Z28 and Caprice are enough projects. Then there is you bringing your damn ford to my house, so that makes 5 projects. 4 of them are mine, and I only have two engines and transmissions. The math is not working here lmao. If I add this Camaro, that would make 5 and again, only two engines.

I just don't know what I wnat to do. I would love to make a track car out of it since it's a hard top, but I just don't have the money for that. But it Would be cool hauling that behind my ole truck over to the track lol.

I would still like to find a cheap 3.8 and just stuff it in there and sell it running and driving. Just have to find that deal. You guys keep your eyes out.

8. callsign4223

callsign4223 New Member

Part it out. There is already enough on your plate.

9. Tony

And parting it out wouldn't add to that? lmao. The next issue with that is, there are not that my buyers out there for this stuff. But, if I can get it stripped down, I can surely try. Want to come help? :biggrin:

10. callsign4223

callsign4223 New Member

Parting it out would be most profitable. If time is a worry, sell it as a donor car.

Either way, it will consume less time than if you kept it around as a general project car because there is always just one more tweak a project car needs :)

11. Tony

A second bottle here, a turbo charger there, Yup, know what you mean lmao.

12. Tony

Well, I have a second 3.8L engine sitting outside. I wonder if I can take two, and make them one... It's going ot need a LOT of work though... Not sure it's worth it...

13. murankar

murankar Member

I'd it works it will be. Then you'll have a car/truck running.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Forum Runner

14. Tony

I went out today and picked up a cyl hone as well as a brake hone. I also picked up a block cleaning kit in the hopes that I can get this rust out of the bores for the lifters in the engines that have been sitting outside. I'm sure with enough work, I can make it work. Need to get my air drill working again though.

I did sell my table saw, so that gives me a little money to go towards this project.

15. murankar

murankar Member

That drill will help on cleaning the outside for sure. In the bores is going to take a bit of work. Its a shame you couldn't blast it with a softer medium to help with the rust.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Forum Runner

16. Tony

I think I'm going to move from this project to my next project for a while. Need some relief from this car lmao.

17. Breeze400

Breeze400 Bitchin' Member - Rest In Peace Brother! You Will

Post up some pics of the car. That's the only way to determine if it's wourth it or not!

18. Tony

Looks ain't everything. But I will get some pictures.

19. Tony

Well, I brought in the engine from outside that was trashed back in '08. Finally got it tore down and will be doing some more work on it today. I'm hoping I have a useable block here that I can just swap the internals to from the engine that is in the car currently. If I can do that, I will have a good running engine and I can sell this car running and driving. That is the plan anyway. We will see what happens.

20. Paulster2

Paulster2 My VTEC Won't VTEC...

Government Weenie
    Home Page:
    Sounds like a plan. Keep us posted.