1. Hello Guest, if you are having any kind of issues with the site, please email Admin@BrokeAuto.com and let me know what is going on. I will do what I can to get the issue resolved quickly. This site is still a work in progress and there is a lot to be done so any info you can give me will really help. Thank you!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. I have disabled email verification due to some email issues. Now, just fill out your info and your done. I have also gotten rid of the reCaptcha and I'm now doing a noCaptcha where you just click a check box. Super simple and faster than ever! Please let us know if you have any issues or need to be verified. Thanks!
    Dismiss Notice

What Did You Do Today?

Discussion in 'Hangout' started by Tony, Jan 21, 2018.

1. SDavis2702

SDavis2702 Member

Web developer
    Home Page:
    Yea I wasn't too worried at all.

Got some free blacked out bow-ties too. They screwed up by not having my second key fob when I bought the car. So once they caught wind that I wanted blacked out bow-ties, they made it happen. Should go in to have them put on next week. w00t.

2. Tony

Tony Administrator Staff Member

Noice!

3. Tony

So today I decided to go out and get a little more done on the chicken coop. I was able to get another hole dug, another post set and get the basic wall put up all around the coop. I was installing one of the header boards and while I was holding it, the screw I was putting in went through the board and hit my finger. Thankfully it did not go in my finger (had that happen, it sucks ass especially with these drill style wood screws) but it did cause me to drop the board (it was only held on the other end by the 1/8" screw tip poking through, I was driving the first screw) and that did not fare well for my back. So finished putting the wire up on the east side, the longest side and called it quits. I think it's the wife's turn to do some work since these are her chickens. lol.

4. Bryan

Bryan Super Moderator Staff Member

It's just been a slow go day at this point not much going on, but I'm sitting a bit over 5k miles on my cars oil change so, I'm gonna go get that done if it kills me. I've also found I got a low tire on the right front and going to pull it and check for leaks as well as pull the other side and check on the front brakes.

5. Tony

Now days, 5000 miles is the suggested change interval. 3000 you are just tossing money.

6. Tony

I took the ole Camaro out for a drive today. The alarm kept going off on its own (has happened before) so I figured the battery was getting a little low. In the past, if the battery gets low, the alarm would just randomly go off. Usually in the middle of the night. I have cameras, I checked the cameras and there was nothing. But, either charging the battery with a battery charger (the correct way mind you) or just firing it up and driving it (very hard on the alternator), it usually makes it stop. But the car is very hard to start with a battery that is that low.

Today, alarm went off and I went out and it had timed out before I got there. There is a 90 second delay that keeps it going then it automatically shuts off. I decided since I had not driven the car in a very long time that I would just start it up if I could, put air in the right front which I need to get fixed (sidewall is leaking because the chrome is peeling), adding a little water to her since I have a small heater hose leak (new hoses are about $180...), check the oil, check the power steering and head to the gas station. I then decided to put about a gallon of gas in it from the can for the mowers just to make sure I make it to the gas station lmao.

I get in it, put it in N and turn the key. The car fires right up. No dead battery. So I have no idea why the alarm went off. I'm about to disable it. No one messes with my stuff around here anyway. They know I and my neighbors have guns and we will shoot them lol. But as it is sitting there running the noise that I have had on and off started getting pretty loud. Then, it caused enough vibration for the computer to think the engine was knocking and set the SES light. I had thought it was either the power steering pump or the tensioner or idler pulley causing it, but it was my AC compressor. I blew the front seal out of it quite a while back (probably 4 years now or more) and just never replaced it. As long as the clutch doesn't kick in, it is just another pulley.

Well, somehow this thing has gotten so hot that it has warped the springs that pull the clutch away from the pulley so it is constantly dragging. There is proof of this in the forum of metal shavings stuck to the clutch which is now magnetized from the friction and the cycles from the electromagnet that kick the compressor on and off. So not only will I now be driving to the gas station to get gas and charge up the battery, but I will also be driving into town to the parts store to start pricing parts.

So I fill up the tire with air, filled all of the fluids and headed out. This was the first time I have driven the car since I modified my exhaust. Video below. One thing I had to be careful of is the direction of the bend (dump) on the end of the exhaust to keep it from resonating inside the cab. Until today, I didn't know if I had gotten it correct. I hit the highway and started going through the gears and holy hell this thing sounds awesome, and absolutely no resonance or drone (you know, the proper way to use the word "drone") at all. Just the sweet sound of that American V8!

I headed to the gas station, filled her up with some premium (you have to otherwise it runs like crap) and headed to the parts store. Car just sounding awesome.

I get there and go inside and start looking up parts. I know what I need, I need a pulley kit and a front seal. The pulley kit is $80 and the front seal is $12. However, they have another kit that is the complete compressor, dryer (accumulator), orifice tube, seals and oil for $241. Not sure what way I want to go at this point. Because I could just spend $36 and get an AC Delete pulley. And yes, you must use the pulley because of the way the LT1 is designed, it sucks, I know. From there, I headed back to the house to talk it over with the financial committee... But man was it good to finally get that car back out on the road.

7. Tony

Forgot to put the site back live last night. Sorry about that.

8. Bryan

Well, where to begin, I have been absent for a week or so now, My last post I mentioned getting the oil changed and a couple other items dealt with on my 07 Scion. I got the oil changed, checked the low tire (no leak found) I'm happy about that and the front brakes still got some life to them. Just that little bit took me a few days to recoop unfortunately.

I then decided that I was going to get my 85 Monte Carlo started and running again, so, I was feeling half way decent went to the garage got the battery charger out (poor car hasn't been started in several months) got hooked up came back couple hours later. When I parked the car the engine was running fine. I figured it's not going to be a difficult task, so much for that thought. I finally got the car to start and after about 30 seconds I smell lots of fuel, immediately shut the car off go look and find the fuel line split in multiple places and sprayed fuel everywhere. The short time the car ran I also found it's missing terribly bad. Tomorrow is another day I stop there.

I get around the next day, finally make it back to the car pop the hood and go to work. Pulled the air filter to get the fuel line off the side of the carburetor, and got it removed from the pump. I found a nice new length of fuel line in the garage and got the new put on. At this point I decided to start the car again to see if fuel is leaking anywhere else, last thing I need is my car burned to the ground. Get in go to start it up it fires and dies i expected this after replacing fuel line. Try again and wont start at all, fires a few times but no start. Next thing I'm doing is pulling spark plugs and cleaning the plugs while I'm there working on it. I got into pulling and cleaning got three plugs into the job and had to stop and still haven't been able to finish due to mobility issues.

Now here I sit with an update for the past week or so of my absence. As for today so far I've just been trying to rest waiting to see if it'll warm up a bit more, and maybe try and finish up the job on the car. It has been driving me nuts to get it done and started again.

9. Tony

Been fighting this back pain constantly here lately. Day before yesterday, the wife and I finished off the chicken coop extension and put the baby chicks out there so they can get used to the others. That makes a total of 30 chickens out there. Should easily get a couple dozen eggs a day out of them for a while. But next year, I think we may just sell the 18 we have now (grown and laying) and replace those with new chicks. Our hens didn't molt this season so they definitely will at the end of the year. And once they do, their egg production will be cut almost in half. I figure somewhere around fall we will probably sell them off and purchase even more.

I also went out and tilled up a new plot for the potatoes this year. I was going to do another one for the corn, but because of where dumb and dumber buried their dog that they killed because they can't take care of them, I can't put anything there. So I'm not going to have as large of a planting of corn this year as I was hoping.

But all of that tractor work and working on the coop climbing the ladder and such, my back has not been happy with me for a while now. Guess I will just keep smiling though the pain...

10. Bryan

It's back to the weekend nerve grinding day job for me. I haven't been able to do much these last few days but I'm hoping like hell I may be able to get some help next week and see if i can get a start on my truck. The other plan for next week is to start building a deck and ramp on the front of the house so when I'm down I have easier access in and out of the house.

11. Tony

Setting up to start a new project for another forum and it saddens me to see so many great companies that are either out of business or changed owners and might as well be out of business. The first is Hobby Express, formerly known as Hobby-Lobby, Notice the hyphen and not to be confused with the craft store Hobby Lobby. They used to sell a lot of great balsa kits for a really good price. Well the first thing you see on their new site is the owner's new years resolution for 2018 is to retire. Then it says auction now closed, business sold. Very cold, very blunt, and the prices of everything have doubled, if they are even in stock, which most are not.

They purchased their kits from company named AeroCraft Rc who made the Telemaster. An absolutely fantastic kit. I own one and they are great! But, you type in their address and you get a blank white page with a very weird URL. So they are gone.

It's just a sad day for the Rc Hobby today... For me at least.

12. Bryan

I just got home from picking up an 84 Nissan 300 zx, it's going to take some time obviously but got a list of things to work on. Brake system pretty much all of it is going to be replaced, timing set, horn not working, rear washer not working, and some other items, needless to say my truck is going to be put on hold and this one comes first. All in all though the car runs and drives quite well.

13. Tony

Have fun with that thing.

14. Bryan

LMFAO... yea right, On another note had to replace the ignition switch in a 89 Dodge Ram today, only to find out after finally getting the old switch removed, OH YAY, wrong part. The owner of the truck is going to go and try and get the right part tomorrow we'll see what happens. I went on my usual errands for very Thursday today Bank, brunch, and some shopping with the other half for the household and also went to the local parts store and ordered almost $700 dollars in parts for this 84 Nissan. I was expecting some money to go into this car, but holy crap are older Nissan parts expensive! Not to mention almost everything is special order.

15. Tony

Air conditioner went out in my house. No money to fix it. Giving up seems like a good option...

16. Tony

Wait... What?

17. Tony

So today I woke up, decided to fill the 'pond' with some yellow water, then decided to go ahead and remove the yellow water with fresh clear water. I pushed the handle, it went away, but nothing came back....

Yup, I had no water when I woke up this morning.... Again.... @Bryan you know all about this lmao.

So, since I had already went through all of this once before as Bryan can attest to, I went outside and checked the breaker for the pump. It was fine, nothing wrong there. Then, I looked under my house where the gauge is and sure enough, 0 psi. Fine... I went in and put my boots on, grabbed my volt meter and went to the well head. I probed the line and had 0 volts.... This is actually a little promising...

From there I went back under the house to the pressure switch and I checked the two inside terminals, nothing, 0 volts. Then I checked the two outside terminals, and I had 243 volts. I took one of my leads and snapped the terminals open and shut a few times and I heard the pump kick back on and saw the pressure gauge starting to rise.

I'll tell you what, when I had no water this morning, I surely thought it was going to be another pump replacement. 340' deep, it is no small task. At least if I had to replace it this time it's not below freezing lmao. But, just carbon coated contacts causing some insulation. Now to keep an eye on those and hopefully never have this issue again... Yea right...

18. Tony

Damn, I forgot just how FAST :bolt: this forum is!!! Wow!!!

19. Tony

Have you ever walked outside then immediately turn back around and went back in the house because it is just too damn hot out there? Yea, that just happened... lmao

20. Tony

For those that are on RCH, you will know what I'm getting ready to talk about. For those that have no clue, let me fill you in.

Today I'm working on setting up my laptop so that we can stream Phoenix Flight Simulator to my desktop so that we can stream it on Simulator Sunday!!!! This has been challenging to say the least. I'm hoping by having Phoenix running on a different computer from my stream that it will allow me to free up some resources and keep it from crashing all the time.

What would you guys think about doing a simulator session for BrokeAuto? I have iRacing, Nascar Heat 2, Assetto Corsa and some others that we could use. If you guys would be interested in something like this, let me know and we might just make this happen!!!