1. Hello Guest, if you are having any kind of issues with the site, please email Admin@BrokeAuto.com and let me know what is going on. I will do what I can to get the issue resolved quickly. This site is still a work in progress and there is a lot to be done so any info you can give me will really help. Thank you!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. I have disabled email verification due to some email issues. Now, just fill out your info and your done. I have also gotten rid of the reCaptcha and I'm now doing a noCaptcha where you just click a check box. Super simple and faster than ever! Please let us know if you have any issues or need to be verified. Thanks!
    Dismiss Notice

Why Does It Have To Be This Hard!!!!

Discussion in 'Hangout' started by Tony, Feb 27, 2018.

1. Tony

Tony Administrator Staff Member

So for the past few days, I have been trying like hell to get the website setup so that everyone can get their info out of the article section on the old site so they can post it here when I decide on what article management system I want on here. Well, the key word here is trying, and I was failing. Every time I would access the old site, it would redirect me here. This site would tell me the page could not be found. No kidding, it's a completely different site with a different database lmao.

The first thing that happened was the original database was corrupted with one table. Thanks to my linux guru, he was able to find out a fix for this and get that database running yesterday. So Ken, if you are reading this, thank you for that!

Then it came down to actually finding out why it was trying to redirect to XF when I had not put any redirects in this site or on the server. So I started checking files. config.php, nope, that is all good and I even looked to see if there was a hard line of code to force ssl. Nothing. Next I created an index.html just to see if the url was reaching the correct server and it was. Then I checked index.php (yes, they are different from html to php for those that don't know) And in there I found the line of code that you see below...

/* Tell forum.php to redirect
    to the default url as defined
    in the navigation manager */
    define('VB_REDIRECT', true);

Basically, the stock config is for you to put in a url and vbulletin will automatically add '/forum.php' to the end of it. Or content.php or index.php or whatever. Either way, this little line of code was making it go to the new site for some stupid reason. I just changed true to false and I put the url back in and I received my test index.html page. I deleted that file and boom, it was working. I was finally able to get into the admin control panel and change the url of the test site so that anyone can access it to get their information.

All of that work for one corrupt database table and one line of code in one file on the server. I really hate this crap sometimes because when you find the solution it is usually starring you right in the face the whole time... ugh...

2. Bryan

Bryan Super Moderator Staff Member

It's that whole love hate relationship isn't it. I'm sure glad that I don't have to deal with computer problems.

3. Tony

Yea, pretty much. I love to hate it....

4. Bryan

I hear ya, I love working on cars but I hate what it does to me.

5. SDavis2702

SDavis2702 Member

Web developer
    Home Page:
    The love/hate is what keeps me coming back... to web dev and to women. :D

6. Tony

Dude, I know, right!!! lmao. When you are dealing with it, you are doing everything in your power to NOT punch your monitor (desktop) or throw your laptop across the room. But once you are done, you are like "damn that was a good challenge" lmao. I know the struggle. Well, the women thing.... My wife won't let me have a girlfriend, even after 19 years of being together... I figured she would be tired of me by now lmao.

7. Bryan

Well it hasn't been 19 years for me but it has been 8 years with the same woman shes stuck by me through a lot of shit and still going through a lot, so I got no complaints there. The work on cars I've been doing it for most of my life and frankly one of the few things I'm good at so until I'm permanently in a wheelchair or dead I'm going to continue to do what I love to do. That being said I think it's about time to get back to work on my cars, Tony I think I've actually decided to put that 454 and 400 trans in the 71. What do you think good idea or bad?

8. Tony

It would get the ole truck running. MPG won't be worth a crap, but it should pull a trailer.

9. Bryan

454 good tires and suspension it aught to pull just about anything I'll need to.